Five fast food items you can get that won’t wake your conscience.
Sometimes we just don’t have the time to pre-pack nutritious meals, esspecially when we are on the road traveling. While it’s more nutritious and economically wise to prepare your food at home, we’ve compiled a short list of options that may help when you’ve got no choice but to turn to fast food. Here are five things you can order that won’t break the scale, or your wallet.
1. More than a just billion burgers! – McDonald’s. The long-time burger chain tends to have a reputation of serving not-so-healthy options on its menu. Although this can be the case with certain items, many customers can agree that the company is making strides to promote healthy menu options. Running late to your flight and all you can see is a McDonald’s drive thru in your path? If you’re getting breakfast, stick to the egg white delight that’s only 250 calories and made with 100% grilled egg whites. And it’s really filling! Avoiding carbs? Try the greek yogurt parfait and some unsweetened tea! So delicious and so satisfying!
[Egg White Delight from McDonald’s]
2. Now that’s healthier!! – Known for their delicious pretzel buns and tripled-stacked burgers, on the surface Wendy’s seems far from healthy, but they’ve got options for you. Consider ordering a baked potato and instead of sour cream, add a small dab of butter. Keep the bacon bits to a minimum and add a small Caesar salad with very little or no dressing, minus the croutons. You’re looking at a tasty meal at about 380 calories!
[Side Caesar salad from Wendy’s]
3. Stay Fresh – This one seems like an obvious one, but just because Subway promotes eating fresh, doesn’t always mean you’re eating healthy. Be mindful of your portions and choices. A foot-long sandwich can be too large of a meal if you’re not burning enough calories, so consider buying a foot-long and eating half for lunch and half for dinner, or half for you and half for your colleague, or maybe have lunch for two days!! Stick to turkey and ham, and stay away from things like mayo and too much cheese. A six inch turkey sandwich with 9-grain wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers, is only 280 calories. And chips are not your friend! But if you just can’t stay away, tease yourself with some plain baked lays, but don’t even think about eating more than half that bag!
[Six-inch turkey sub from Subway]
4. That’s what a healthy lifestyle is all about– In ‘N’ Out is hard because there really aren’t a whole lot of menu options for you to chose from. But if you’re traveling to California, especially from the east, you have to try this place. Although it’s really not the healthiest option, the reason why we chose this one is to prove that even the the simplest of menus– the ones that are unavoidable and that all our friends just love going to– can have some kind of healthy option. There’s nothing worse than being the only one in your group who can’t eat. So it’s past midnight and all your friends want In ‘N’ Out? Have no fear, for the lettuce wrap cheese burger is here.
This juicy “protein-style” burger won’t leave you feeling left out, that’s for sure. And it’s only 330 calories! Get really daring and leave out the cheese. I know a lettuce wrap doesn’t seem like a lot of food, but a large unsweetened ice tea is sure to help you feel full and energized!
[Cheeseburger protein-style from In ‘N’ Out]
5. Healthy options!? Un-f*#%$#! believable! – While many can agree Del Taco isn’t the first choice when you’re trying to be healthy, it can sometimes be your only choice. When that happens, try the fresh turkey tacos! Each one is only 150 calories and comes with tangy fresh pico de gallo. Skip the soda and grab some water with lemon to cleanse your system and aid with weight loss!
[Turkey Tacos from Del Taco]
Lets face it, as travelers, some of us don’t have time to prepare two, sometimes three home cooked meals, five days a week, every single day. Even with a 9-5 job it’s not easy. There’s always going to be that day where you’re starving, short on time and all you’ve got is five bucks and change and a drive thru on your left, and a drive thru on your right. There’s always going to be that day when your friends want to go out to eat between classes, or your co-worker asks you to grab a quick bite.
Don’t ever feel like you’re out of healthy options. Don’t settle for that bacon cheese burger, those dollar-menu fries or that breakfast burrito. Too many times we’re convinced that bad eating habits just seem to follow us everywhere, like a dark cloud, but the truth is, good health can be found everywhere, so long as we are searching for it.